Wednesday, May 25, 2011

in other news...

I don't normally talk work issues here, and I won't go into any details, but after the last two days of work retreat-type stuff, I have really worked out that I need to start making serious decisions and pushing for what benefits my career. I can't stay where I am because it's comfortable and because I like certain people.

It's pathetic and it's just going to stagnate me.

And it's also going to hurt me - very badly - because I might be loyal to those I care about, I might admire or look up to people, I might be happy doing anything they say, but I can't trust them to be loyal to me and act entirely in my best interests. It would be naive to do that.

I have to ask to move on up.

Hubby tells me that until I get the guts to open my mouth and ask for what i want, I don't deserve to be a manager on that level. He says that despite all the crap I complain about with it being a man's world, I need to quit thinking and start doing, because that's just the way things are, and if I know that and don't compete or adapt, I'll just get left behind.

In other words, I shouldn't be a nice girl, doing nice work and making someone else look good - I should "man up" and get the recognition I deserve.

He's right.

Gawd - I'm such a girl though. (This kind of shit, this kind of thinking, is why I'll never be happy).

No comments:

Post a Comment