Friday, January 7, 2011

Hello. Or hello again.

Writing my thoughts down online seems like something I used to do for about five years, five years ago. And then faded, like a lot of things. Or else I got addicted to Facebook where I didn't have to think.

But I miss writing.

It's one of my many creative outlets and I really need those to balance out the everyday routine with other things.

Having moments to write, or sing, or dance, or (what else do I like doing?) cook, or garden or read or watch one of those movies-that-make-you-think can change a person. It makes them stop, literally smell roses, reflect, grow, and whatever gardening references you wish to add here.

At the risk of sounded cliched, I think I'm writing more for me this time round. My first ventures into blogging were exaggerated versions of me. I was writing for an audience - to entertain. I like entertaining people and I certainly have my various personas - as everyone does - but I want to just write and not necessarily try to amuse or shock.

If you don't recognise the title of this blog, it's the name of a Kate Bush song. Ah, my beloved Kate who I have listened to since I was a 15-year-old completely obsessed with Wuthering Heights. I'm still that girl - just with a lot more cynicism added! It's not my favourite Kate song, but I do like the image of the Rubberband Girl, who knows how to bend, adapt and bounce back.

But before I keep rambling, let me introduce myself.

I'm a 30-something wife with a lovely house in a leafy suburb, I have an adorable, energetic husband who is the joy of my life, I like cooking, growing flowers and veggies in my huge garden which we share with our two chickens, I love to belly dance, sing, play the piano and violin and I have a job which I don't even want to write about here.

Okay, I should write something about it because it's a big part of my life, but here's all I'll say. I like my job but it's not what I really want to do for the rest of my career.

It's not that I don't find it interesting, it's just that it doesn't really engage me and I know the drive I have when I'm truly engaged in something. But at this point in my life, I can't afford to be self-indulgent about what I do for a living. The job is nice, well-paid, not too stressful and the reality is that we have a big mortgage and I really want to have kids (after almost 7 years of marriage) so now isn't the time to push for a career-change.

And you know what else?

I don't actually know what I want to do when I grow up.

What I *do* want to do is think about my life, talk about my life, write about the things I enjoy doing and what I'm passionate about and maybe, somehow, I'll figure out what I want to be.

And so - Hello.
I'm looking forward to writing a lot more here.

4 comments:

deemacgee said...

*waves*

Hello!

Kira said...

Ah, it's ok, dear...I'm 40 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up! These things take time :D

Jezzy said...

It's my friends! Hello both.

M said...

I wish I knew what I wanted to be when I grow up!

Post a Comment